Thursday 13 October 2016

My pinterest board and visual research for my project

https://uk.pinterest.com/josephlearoyd/visual-and-animated-research-for-module/



   Project Brief and my character and animation idea.


   My idea for the brief is to use the idea of performing a circus trick and the emotion of anger to tell a story. I took a fairly obscure circus trick, snake charming as the trick and main with an anthropomorphic lion as the snake charmer. This character is inspired by a variety of things. I like the overall interaction between Prince John (The Lion) and Sir Hiss (The Snake) in the animated Robin Hood from 1973.

      Prince John & Sir Hiss - Disney's Robin Hood:

   This similar interaction was used in "The Jungle Book" with Sher Khan and Kaa. I looked at snake charmer images and some old animated episodes of Sandokan: The tiger of Malaysia as well as characters from the film Aladdin to come up with a character idea that i like. This visual research board also allowed me to look at lots of 3D character designs of hands and lion/feline faces which can be found via the pinterest link above. I will continue to look at further design elements and build on this snake charmer character. I like how there is simplicity and complexity in the character's here and I aim to do something cartoonish like this. I don't think that there should be an awful lot of detail on my character though as it could prove difficult to animate. I will still work on it and see where the process takes me. My rough character design can be seen as part of my storyboard on the post prior to this one.

       I chose anger as it is a very expressive emotion that could lead to some powerful poses, breaking things etc. I look forward to this project.




Image references

       Disney, Robin Hood, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/2f/93/0a/2f930af7385cff154cba75a27bd85586.jpg, 1973

BRB International, Sandokan, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/28/1f/6c/281f6cc6027d7d50798df56ec2ee48ab.gif, 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment