Thursday 16 February 2017

The modelling process

 I started off by creating the outline and a basic mesh with pointed ears and basic lamberts so i could visualise the images that I was working from.
 Following on from this, the character's face had to be molded a bit more to the shape of the character but still basic and generic.
 I mirrored the generic mesh and began to work on it some more, whilst manipulating both sides.
 I retopologised the character to try and fit the likeness a bit more. At this point, the humanoid features were getting closer.
 Extruding downwards I began working on the arm and hand. Two fingers and a thumb are all that Nightcrawler has on each hand so it was easier to use the extrusions on the fingers.
 Moving on, I mirrored the mesh again and joined up the central vertices, creating a basic clothing mesh.
 I had also made a tail at this point and soon began moving onto the hair. The hair was an extrusion that had been seperated into a new mesh. Following this, I had some of my classmates speak to me about the progress of my model and redid the arms based on this as I had accidentally made square arms instead of rounded ones. 
 Here is the fixed arm setup in rough mode. I made sure to retopologise at this point as i worked on the cave of the inside of the mouth and added nostrils, teeth, a tongue and eyelids.

 Finishing off the mesh, I worked on the hair and nails and fixed any small issues in the character's jaw etc, making sure to speak to other people in order to see how my progress was going. I then went on to fix any issues in the clothing and lower body before I was happy with the mesh.

I then used basic textures to create the character look, trying to make it like the comic character style that I had planned when I chose the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment